mood board and various thoughts I can't put into words: http://gabdez.tumblr.com/

Saturday, July 7

first love

My love for the sea goes beyond the depths of a bottomless lake.

But, in all seriousness the ocean is just so wonderful. I can't fully describe how in awe of it I truly am. I just... hmm...well I am mesmerized by it all. I know it may sound silly but my favourite memories of the trips I'v been on are usually of the beaches and not for the reasons most would think. Yes, I do love to bask in the sun and fry until I get all golden brown, but most of the time I'm in the water or as close to it as I can get. 

My 19th birthday was spent beach hopping in Malpais, Costa Rica( side note: Malpais means bad country in Spanish and I just didn't see how any of that land was bad) and it was honestly one of the greatest moments from that trip. I believe we visited 4 or 5 beaches that day and each beach was completely different, from the sand to the waves but I was baffled that it was all the same ocean. The first beach we had breakfast and the waves were good for surfing but the beach itself wasn't deemed all that great by the locals. I don't recall the order anymore so now I'll be a tad vague. One of the beaches we walked through palm trees galore then entered an open space of white sand for miles and miles and not a soul but us were on it. I had a whole beach to myself on my birthday and I played with the waves and allowed them to carry me gently to the shore for a bit. Another beach was more cramped and rocky but it was perfect for placing the blankets down and having lunch while we gazed at the violent and angry water thrashing itself upon the shore and rocks. I've never seen such upset waves, I couldn't even stand near the shore without having stones and logs smack against my ankles, I'm pretty sure I almost got knocked over at one point. Oh, also if I were to step foot in the water I'm sure I would have fallen into the drop off that was a foot away from the sand and well I wouldn't be here to tell you of this day. Towards the right there was a chunk of rocks protruding from the water that acted as a barrier for the ocean and sand. I noticed some kids carefully standing on it to get a closer look at water chucking itself on the stones- of course my sister and I joined them and it was a bit terrifying, but so beautiful. I can't quite put justice to that moment, it was captivating and haunting and lovely. It amazed me how something so violent was so calming. The strange thing is that was my favourite beach and I can't wait to visit it again.

Last summer I went to Seattle, with my boyfriend  at that time (ex sounds a tad harsh seeing as how we are now acuaintances/friends) and his family. I don't quite remember why we went to Seattle but I remember the day trip to the Oregon Coast. The moment we entered the town you could feel the crisp salt air. The houses were all similar but quite different at the same time, all with old pale wooden shingles paneling the houses, and tall trees blocking out the sun. The houses right on the beach had trees slanted almost horizontally due to the strong winds. That was a spectacular beach, like that of the movies: tall grass dancing gently in the wind with mountainous rocks standing tall in the ocean. The water was freezing so I tried my best to walk in it until by feet became so unbearably cold that I could feel them pulsing. One of my favourite moments was when we saw a couple baby dragonflies look as though they were coming out of the ocean itself and flying past us towards the land. It started of with a few then several dozens just whizzing by our heads. It lasted a few minutes and then they disappeared. It was such a curious but magical moment. I filmed a bit of it but lost the footage when I reset my phone...Now I could honestly go on and on and on about any and every moment I adored about my trips to visit the ocean but I'll stop. 

I can't really fathom why I am so obsessed with the sea. Sometimes I believe I was a mermaid in a past life because it brings forth such a nostalgic peace. But when I really start to think about the vast magnificent and beautiful ocean my heart just warms up with this sort of mellow happiness. I suppose there are several reasons for my infinite love of salt water: it makes my hair super curly, it heels any cuts I may have, it's every possible shade of my favourite colour, it's constantly changing. If you think about it the water we have grazing our skin today isn't the same bit that touched your skin last summer of even the day before. It could have been in another part of the world. It could have grazed upon the legs of DaVinci, Monet, and Shakespeare. It's so strong it separated Pangaea, yes it may have taken years but it's drifting the continents further and closer to one another. It slips through any crack in your fingers and yet carries massive ships of people. It allows boats to float or brings them to it's depths if given the room to pour into the decks. It's a whole different world and home to marine life. There are parts of the ocean that have never been reached and I'm not sure if they ever will be. It's simply mysterious and ancient but familiar and new all at the same time. It is my first love, and will always be my love. I can't wait to greet him when I travel to other countries and see what colour he's become and feel him reach for my skin. 

No comments: