A couple days ago I had a wonderfully relaxing day off with an interesting lad. We've only just begun to speak to one another about a week ago? Anyways he came down to the mainland for the long weekend and decided to spend his whole day with pretty much a stranger. We wandered around the city hopping into random shops & exchanging small bits of information about one another. After getting out of the comic book shop he just gazed down at me baffled and asked "What are you?" I suppose I gave him a rude look because he laughed and apologized and said "I know you're a person, I just mean what are you? You're not a hippie, you're not a hipster, you're not a nerd..." to which I interrupted and said "I'm me." I am a hybrid, a mixture, my own creation through God but I am 100% human.
I don't believe in labels. I don't believe humans should be separated into little categories as if they're folders in an office filing cabinet. Yes we have little things that we do that are similar to others, or dress differently depending on the area we live in or people we hang out with but that's not to say that because we do some things the same we are the same and should be branded with a stamp letting everyone know what group we fall into. Not all people with tattoos are hells angels or convicts or addicted to pain. Not all gay guys are feminine and flamboyant nor do all gay woman dress and act like men. Not all black people speak slang or listen to rap. Not all Latina's dress like hoochies and are easy. Not all pretty girls are dimwitted or bitches. People need to stop assuming one's behaviors or interests based on how the appear to look. Drop the labels, drop the assumptions and just truly get to know the inner person. I loathe labels, that is why I don't go advertising any on the things that I wear. Do what you want, dress how you want, be who you want- not because you look like you should be doing that or because people around are doing it. Do what makes your heart happy. Let your inner being define you. Make your own definition of who you are. Screw labels.

No comments:
Post a Comment