mood board and various thoughts I can't put into words: http://gabdez.tumblr.com/

Monday, April 1

Poems from the Quay

A few days ago, after and early morning shift at work I decided to go the New West Quay and sat on the deck near the boats listening to crows caw at seagulls as the water inched further away from the shore. I started off attempting to write about my lack of words and it turned into poem after poem after poem of you. I could make a book of poetry on these. Seriously. I'd title it Poems from the Quay.

Poem #4

Oh darling, let’s be adventurers.

Let us wander through jungles,

swim cold waters

trek through mountains in the rain.

Anything and everything with you

 is never dull. All those years

not once

have I gotten bored of you.


I've forgotten
how to
word my thoughts eloquently.
I've become accustomed to hitting
"Like" rather than stating how
it makes me feel.
If I could tap you
so you'd be notified that "Gabriela likes" you,
I probably would. Maybe not.
The point being I've forgotten,
really, because now you have appeared
in my mind and are consuming every thought
as if I'm the pieces of beef jerky when I'm low on iron.
I don't know how I feel about it. Drawn
& devoured. Sometimes I'll let you
fill my head with seemingly silly teenage girl daydreams-
then I remember I'm technically a woman
and "A woman should always be pursued".
What if I gave you subtle hints?
No. No. No.
I won't allow these 'feelings' to overwhelm me yet again.
You're in another world,
a world so different from mine yet
the same. I don't want to like you.
When I stumble upon another interesting fellow that's interested
I can't let anything more than flirtatious bantering
occur; it doesn't sit well
in my gut. I want you.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


If I were a ship, I'd sail to your shore.
If I were a tree, I'd shade you from the scorching sun.
If I were a bike, I'd cruise down any path to meet you on the corner.
If I wee a record, I'd play your favourite songs.
If I were a weight, I'd help you become strong.
If I were a bird, I'd greet you with the sweetest of notes.
I'd be a nightingale, and owl, a quetzal
if it meant that you'd admire me. You'd trek
the thickest forest to glimpse me:
to study me, and learn from me, and never ever cage me.
But I'm neither of those things-
I am human
all I have to offer you is myself and any bit
of me you value.
Oh to be your prized possession.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are the sea:
calm & deep at times, with eyes clear & enticing.
You're unpredictable and strong;
the powerful waves and currents of a storm.
You swallow me up
with your presence. Those heterochromia iridis'
are as readable as braille to me.
A strange translation to a language I speak.
Your vibe is captivating.
I want to be in it everyday.
Wherever, whenever
I wish we were meant to be
together. For now, I suppose, good friends
is better than no
you...
 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're so damn hard to read
I just wish you were a book.
One that I would fall in love with
more and more
as the story progresses and the plots unfurl.
I would highlight the best parts,
little things that others may overlook.
I wish to cuddle up with you and escape into a new world.

If you were a book, you'd be my prized possession
I'd lend you to no one except for yourself.
I'd read you over and over and over.
Always finding something

new & interesting, something I missed before.
I wouldn't dare wear you out,
oh no, I wouldn't.
I'd take excellent care of you
because you're my favourite
even though you're not mine.




No comments: