mood board and various thoughts I can't put into words: http://gabdez.tumblr.com/

Sunday, February 3

generous

Oh my goodness Ellen is just complete love. I don't cry easily but this brought tears to my eyes, she is such an amazing blessing to so many people's lives. She is the epitome of a happy giver. I can't wait till I have extra money to just bless people with constantly. Gah she is such an amazing human being, there needs to be more Ellen's in our world. As a believer of God I strongly believe that this extremity of love and generosity and joy is what he wants all of us to be like; gay or straight, Muslim, Sikh, Budist, Christian, Catholic or non-denominational we are all the same created by the same being and our duty is to love passionately. Love God, love life, love people. Period. The Beatles couldn't be more spot on when they sang "All you need is love".

The thing that kills me when I stop  and read the statistics  that "enough food to feed the world is currently produced. 300 kg of grain per head is currently produced worldwide each year. 200 kg of grain contains the calories needed by an adult per year. (Grain is widely used as a measure of food production as it supplies more than half humanity's calories.)"

The 5.8 billion people in the world today have, on average, 15 percent more food per person than the global population, of 4 billion people, had 20 years ago.(4)
The world today produces enough grain to provide 3500 calories per person (this estimate does not include vegetables, beans, nuts, root crops, fruits, grass-fed meets, fish.)(23)

THERE IS ENOUGH FOOD for every being on this earth to get above the daily intake of calories. There is enough for everyone to get extra but they can't access that food due to poverty. IN NONE of our 20 century famines has it ever been because of an absolute shortage of food. Just let that sink in.

Ready for more? 1% of the world owns 40% of the worlds wealth. Imagine if that 1% redistributed their money to help those in need. I'm not saying give everyone your cash and let them blow it cause I do believe in the old proverb "Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish feed him for the rest of his life." If that small percentage of people had just an ounce of generosity such as that of ellens I can't even fathom how much change in the world there would be. It sickens me that we have a desire to want more and more and more and are never satisfied with what we already have? I'm not going to deny that I fall into this sometimes by spending on things that I don't need but want. Do I really need another plain black shirt? No. Do I need a new lipstick colour even if it's half off? No. I want to be debt free, not to buy whatever I want but to 1) Travel, travel travel 2) Be able to give like I've never given before. There have been so many times when I've wanted to give the two homeless men, by the station of my work, meals. To just be able to introduce myself and say "Where do you want to go eat today?" but can't because at times I haven't enough to be going out to eat. I think that is a greater enough motivation for me to stop and think before dropping cash on unnecessary things. I want to be a generous giver- one that never stops giving.

Educate yourself:
http://www.worldsocialism.org/spgb/education/depth-articles/resources/how-we-could-feed-world
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/dec/06/business.internationalnews

No comments: