mood board and various thoughts I can't put into words: http://gabdez.tumblr.com/

Tuesday, February 5

Dendrochronology

When I stop to think of  how time moves at such an unusual pace, my head somewhat glitches. Time is just a bizarre concept. Time combined with one's life is a beautifully strange creation.  Speaking of time, or well writing of it, is something that leaves me with a complete lack of words. I can not find a way to make sense of it. Just, ok, think of how you were yesterday or the day before, what did you do differently? Did you change completely? Did you wake up a completely different person? Most likely not, if something changed it was probably something subtle and nearly unrecognizable unless you went and got some surgery done. But compare the person you are today to the one you were a year or two ago, I'm sure you'll spot several changes. Here, I'll illustrate mine. Physically a few things have changed: I had long long long hair, and dressed like a bohemian-vintage-I-don't-know-what. Presently my hair is short reddish black ombre, I have a tattoo, and I dress in simple black and white or printed button ups. But I have also changed inwardly, which is expected- well for me. See I believe we are not to stay static, nothing great happens from being the same as what you were several years ago. I think people should be like trees. Now hear me out, I know that sounds completely absurd. I'll put it this way- what good is a newly planted tree the size of a twig if it does not grow? An ancient tree not only has given several decades of cleaning our air but may have been a cover from the rain, a shaded area from a scorching summer sun, a home to a nest of new birds or bees, a means of making shelter while trekking through the wilderness etc. etc. etc. But one of the beautiful things about trees is that when they have been cut (and continued to be used in their passing away) you can see all their years & the years in which they did the most growth by looking at their rings.

"For the entire period of a tree's life, a year-by-year record or ring pattern is formed that reflects the climatic conditions in which the tree grew. Adequate moisture and a long growing season result in a wide ring. A drought year may result in a very narrow one. Alternating poor and favorable conditions, such as mid summer droughts, can result in several rings forming in a given year. "

Just as trees are affected by the changing of seasons so are we humans. "Adequate moisture and a long growing season result in a wide ring. A drought year may result in a very narrow one." Obviously we go through a lot of growth in our lives when we are on track with God, getting watered daily with his love, showered in his forgiveness & generosity, being fed his word constantly and praising him through the good. That's the easy part but it is in the drought years where our growth is tested; it could either be a little sliver or a massive ring. It says 'a drought year MAY result in a narrow' ring, key word may- not will, not most likely,and certainly not should, but may. Meaning there is a chance it could prove that season wrong and grow anyways. I believe that  in those tough, seemingly impossible, years is where we have the ability to grow above and beyond what we could even fathom IF and WHEN we give it all to God. No matter what the season, don't forget to continuously praise, thank and give it all to God. After all he never forgets to bless you or to love you and most definitely never leaves you. Finally what good is change if it is not for the better? What good are these years that pass on by if we do nothing about them.


 I could honestly go on about how our faith should be like that of trees from the strong roots planted in God's plans and affirmation so when the storms and floods rage on we will not budge or fall. 

& see what I mean about time? Each time I try to write about it my mind takes me somewhere else. And speaking of time, it is time I sleep.

No comments: